header image

Trust is a fine line

Posted by: | 15 February 2008 | 13 Comments |

twitter-logo.jpg

Ramblings:

1) I was exploring a few teacher blogs and found a couple of nifty links (thanks to Mr. Williams’ excellent blog): geoGreeting–kind of fun stuff; 2MM–interesting. Anyone see this?[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/WS_QENuOYL8" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

Free Rice–a good cause;

And, does anyone out there use Twitter? Curious.

Topic: MySpace–what do you think of it? Plus? Minus? What does MySpace offer to people? It has caused controversy, for sure, but why? A lot of talk I hear seems to revolve around parent/child trust, as well as online safety. What are your thoughts?

As always, I am most interested in your views.

Click me!

under: 6th grade, alumni, literature, MadLinks, schoolstuff

13 Comments

1. By: Tess on 15 February 2008 at 8:11 pm      

I think that myspace is kinda stupid. I don’t have one but with all of the weird stories going on out there I really don’t wan’t one. Take this one for example there was this girls mom who created a fake page and pretended to be a guy she pretended to be one of her daughters friends boyfriend to see what she was saying behind her daughters back. After the girl said somthing mean about her daughter the mom (who was pretending to be her boyfriend) broke up with her. five hours later the girl hung herself.
    I find that that is ridiculus and am appauled how anyone could do that. That’s why I think myspace sucks. Also there are those freaky predator people online that try to become our boyfriend/girlfriend

Tess

P.s. I liked the Click on me thing but i didn’t get what it said.

pss. can you make it when you click on it it opens in another window. I think that there is some book on it in the library about how do to that.

2. By: mrmadden on 15 February 2008 at 9:34 pm      

Tess,

I always can count on your insightful comments. For that, I am very grateful.

The link. Read the pictures–they spell out a message from me to all of you. All I can do so far is to have you right-click on it and tell your browser to open it in a new window or tab (if you are so smartly using Firefox).

And, yes, of course you are right.

-Mr. M

3. By: Haley K. on 16 February 2008 at 11:04 am      

I really don’t think Myspace is that bad; I feel as long as your smart with it… it doesn’t matter.
    I have one- but I use it for contacting with my friend only. I think as long as your protected and safe with it, keeping it on private, not posting anything you wouldn’t want given away, your ah-okay.

Drama; there deffinatley is some. But you can steer your self away from it. Mostly it’s caused by ‘Top Friends’ or people saying stuff that they wouldn’t say to your face. But usually you can just ignore it.

Thats what I do…

4. By: Delanie O. on 16 February 2008 at 3:35 pm      

Myspace is the stupid-est thing created. So many peolpe abuse it and are just dumb with it. It’s almost like they don’t get that if you post personal information, people will like stalk you. But wait, THEY DON’T GET IT! And, if you make it so that only your ‘friends’ can access it, it is totally pointless because they already know everything about you.
    I can not put it into word how much I think myspace is stupid and pointless!!!!!

Delanie O.

5. By: Kaitlyn S. on 16 February 2008 at 8:38 pm      

geoGreetings-
    When I first clicked on the geoGreetings link, I didn’t exactly understand when the whole thing was about. All I thought I was looking at was a bunch of buildings. After the website told me to to type something, I realized that the buildings were the letters I was writing!! I think that sooo awesome!!

Free Rice-
    I heard about Free Rice a long time ago, but just forgot about it. I’m glad I know about it now though. It’s such a good cause!!

Twitter-
    I’m a little confused on exactly what Twitter is all about. The website doesn’t explain very well in my opinion.

MySpace-
    I do not have a MySpace. My parents would freak if they found out that I got one without them knowing. If someone does have one, then they need to be extra, extra, extra smart in keeping themselves safe. Anything you put onto MySpace will stay there forever, and there are some pretty scary people out there that can easily get into your “private” MySpace page. A lot of bad things happen to people with a MySpace, and I’m not going to take that chance.

Kaitlyn S.
    P.S. Nice geoGreeting, Mr. Madden!!

6. By: jessi N on 18 February 2008 at 2:16 pm      

Ah yes, myspace. Myspace is probably one of the greatest inventions(Are websites considered inventions?) in the world. Ive met tons of new people, and i now have alot of new frineds. Of course you should always be careful with the people that youre talking to and what you talk about. Never give away anything personal. Ive had a few encounters with myspace stalkers and its pretty creepy, but their is a simple solution. Dont add them as a friend, or delete them if their already a friend. Myspace is also good for finding old friends that you havent talked to in forever.All i can say is that i would be completely lost without my Myspace.

7. By: Tess on 18 February 2008 at 5:05 pm      

I kinda don’t get the whole myspace thing, I mean your friends already know who you are and what you like and you’re putting your information out there so predators can get to you. I think that is also pretty stupid. I don;t have one and I won’t be getting one mostly becasue I don’t like them

Tess

8. By: mrwilliams on 18 February 2008 at 7:19 pm      

I use Twitter: jdwilliams

At first I thought it would be kind of pointless, but it has turned out to be really neat. I can “follow” and “talk” to people that I wouldn’t usually have access to. I mainly follow other teachers and ed-tech professionals, so I get a lot of useful links.

Last week we were studying weather in class and I was able to ask people all over the world what the weather was like where they were at and get an answer that was better than looking up temperatures on the Internet. One person even sent us a video of the snowstorm he was stuck in.

9. By: Tess on 20 February 2008 at 5:50 pm      

What is Twitter??? I have a very slow computer so I didn’t bother waiting to wait for it to load on my computer.

Tess

10. By: Haley K. on 21 February 2008 at 6:29 pm      

AH!!!!! The whole Twilight Movie Cast Is OUT!!!!

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilight_movie.html

11. By: Tess on 23 February 2008 at 8:00 pm      

Really? They’re making a movie??? YIPEE! Do you know when it is going to come out?

12. By: Haley S. on 10 March 2008 at 5:40 pm      

I dont really have an opinion on myspace because I don’t have one!! I’ve heard good and bad things about myspace but mostly bad things! I think alot of people abuse their myspace and are very stupid with the choices they make about their myspace but like I said…. I don’t have one !

13. By: Haley K. on 21 March 2008 at 10:54 am      

^^^
    Tess,
    the movie is already in production, the writings done and the cast is filming. Earlier when the movie wasn’t so productive, it was going to be released in 2013. Now, however, the planning is moving along and is estimated to be open in the December to February range of 08′-09.

And everyone bashing Myspace;
    your right.
    If people abbuse it, their bound to end up in trouble. But those of us who are just having fun messaging friends, viewing pages, and just using our common sence…

We’re fine, and theres nothing wrong with it.

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories