header image

The hills are alive…

Posted by: | 17 August 2007 | 9 Comments |

westsidestory.jpg

My two second-cousins, I think, were in town last night. We got some pizza at Giorgio’s in East Lansing (fantabulous), and talked about, among other things (camp, jokes, Sudoku, parents, etc.), music and musicals. They both (Clare and Kate) look forward greatly to the release of High School Musical 2. Having just seen Hairspray, they both were fairly geeked about the HSM2 film.

I happen to know that these two bright and creative people are not the only ones psyched up about the movie’s release tonight. (As I am not a giant fan of the mouse in Orlando, I will wait a bit to view the flick.)

So, here is my question: What makes musicals such as HSM2 and Hairspray so popular? There are probably 43 different answers to this question, what is yours?

-Mr. M

under: schoolstuff

9 Comments

1. By: Kaitlyn S. on 19 August 2007 at 1:52 pm      

Mr. Madden,

Zac Efron. That’s who makes them popular. I, myself, am not a fan of him or either of the movies. Everyone LOVES Zac…except me. I was excited for the first movie of HSM. The whole thing ended up being extremely cheesey. I could see all these things that they had people wear or do, and things put in certain places for certain things. I didn’t like it. It was so unrealistic.

Everyone I know was sooo excited for HSM2. I knew that I wanted to see it, just to see how lame it would turn out. Although, I didn’t want to see the premier because I didn’t want to be one of all of those HSM finatics that was sooo excited for the movie. I ended up watching the premier because I was babysitting and the kids werre sleeping. That was the only thing on other that Mrs. Doutfire, which I’ve seen like 4 million times.

I’m with you Mr. Madden!!
    Kaitlyn S.

P.S. HSM2 ended up being even worse that I thought it would be.

2. By: Haley K. on 19 August 2007 at 7:41 pm      

I can only think of one… not 43. And it’s only one name. Zac Efron.

Hey! Don’t judge. I’m sure 95% of the girl population under 18 thinks Zac Efron is cute. End of Story!

3. By: Haley K. on 20 August 2007 at 7:08 pm      

Kaitlyn! You didn’t like it!?! I loved it. So what if it’s cheesy… it’s Disney. What can you expect!?!

I’m standing up for Kenny Ortega (the director- and also director of my favorite musical movie, Newsies) here, as well as the rest of the cast.

Working on musicals before, it’s hard work. You can’t satisfy every critic, but you do your best. It’s not as easy as it looks. We had practices from 3pm to 11pm for days in a row… they probably have longer hours that were MUCH more intense.

The commitment is amazing in the cast. It’s a great outcome for a six week film and rehearsal time.

Don’t get all defensive. I’m just voicing my opinions. And there they are. Take them as you like them…

4. By: Delanie O. on 21 August 2007 at 11:33 am      

I like HSM 1&2…… i only watched the second one because I saw the first one. I do agree that HSM was cheesy, but HSM2 was not nearly as bad.

The third HSM is comming out next fall and will be hitting “The Big Screen”

Delanie

5. By: Tess on 25 August 2007 at 2:36 pm      

I’m gonnna agree with Kaitlyn. The only reason I watched the first movie was because my cousins were watching it and i didn’t have anything else to do.

The movie was predictable, you knew that there was going to be a happy ending, and everything else was boring.

I only saw the end of HSM2 but one of my best friends said it was really cheesey.

That all I have to say.

6. By: Kaitlyn S. on 26 August 2007 at 4:23 pm      

Thank you Tess!!

Kaitlyn S.

7. By: Ashley P!! on 29 August 2007 at 9:45 pm      

Hey Mr. Madden,

I have seen both High School Musical 1 & 2 and Hairspray. Honestly I liked all of them A LOT. I really like the choreography. To watch them dance and everything just interests me I guess. Also you have to give it up for the directors of this even if you don’t love them because they worked hard on it!!

Yea, Zac Efron is pretty…..NICE LOOKING and almost everyone thinks that too!!

Even if HSM 1&2 aren’t that realistic in some of the things………I really like Sharpay’s/ Ashley Tisdale’s outfits!!!! :-) Haha

My last answer about why they are so popular is because a lot of kids look up to the Disney Channel Stars as practically there ” Idol “!

*Ashley*

8. By: Haley K. on 30 August 2007 at 12:44 am      

I agree with Ashley…

But besides that, kids do look up to people like Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Hilary Duff, Miley Cyrus, Emily Osmet, etc. because honestly, there aren’t many Hollywood teen role models to look up to. (Newsflash: Spears is bald, Lohans in rehab, and Nicole and Paris both just got out of jail… doesn’t screm “good example”)

And I already agreed by a previous statement about the directors, but I’ll repeat it just incase you missed it. (Wink, wink) You have to give them some credit… a lot of it in fact. Those dances are intesnce. Go watch other movies of Kenny Ortega’s, like Newsies, and you’ll see the difficulty more clearly. It’s harder then it looks. End of story…

I think that’s all for now… but intill next time- enjoy summer- there’s not much left.

9. By: Abigale B. on 1 September 2007 at 4:38 pm      

I personaly thought it was cheesy and dumb. I only watched it because my friend invited me to the premier party. Throughout the whole movie me and a couple other girls were making fun of how cheesy it was! I don’t understand why it’s soooooooo popular!

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories